African Community School is an Ofsted registered community organisation. We provide a safe environment for young children, adults and families through a range of services to relieve poverty and promote social and economic .
The organisation is a registered Charity and was set up in January 2000.
Our main services include:
- The Saturday school runs on Saturday’s between the times of 10am to 1pm. Cost @£25 per month, £20 per month for concessionary rate or £10 weekly
- The summer school programme runs Monday to Friday: 9.00am to 5pm during Late July – Mid August.
- Weekly Accredited adult learning classes held weekdays/weekends please see Courses.
‘To advance the academic education of children from the age of 3-16 yrs plus through the provision of various out of school education support/activities/projects’.
Mission: To create an environment in which Hackney African and Caribbean and the wider community inclusive any other ethnic background from the community to perform and achieve their higher educational attainment.
- To work in partnership with local schools and wider community
- To improve quality of life and elevate poverty
- To be more inclusive and embrace community cohesion and every child matters agenda in the community.
Who we work with
- 5-16 years old
- Adults and Families
- Young people
- Children who come from deprived backgrounds
- Children at risk from underachievement, disaffection or social exclusion, anti-social behaviour and lack of social and emotional needs
- Black and ethnic minority community inclusive any other ethnic group
Services we offer
- Revision class for GCSE and SATs test, Homework support, ICT class, African dance and drumming class.
- Extra tuition to improve performance for both primary and secondary school subjects: KS1 to KS4
- ICT Class for young people
- Youth programmes: drug awareness education, Self development, Confidence building to encouraging confident participation through peer education schemes and peer mentoring.
- Educational/Cultural trips to places of interest.
- Sports (football), games and adventurous outdoor activities.
- Educational seminar/workshops and African cultural events for family.
- Summer school scheme, which incorporates cultural, social and educational aspect.
- Family learning Programme
- Adult Learning Programme focusing on ICT (accredited through OCR), English, Maths & Early Years.
- Access to arts and creative activities that engage and motivate young children
- We promote education and support of vocational and training skills geared to skills required in the labour market.
- We also promote community cohension by making our service to be inclusive to different ethnic groups in the community.